It is with great sadness that I must inform you of Thelma's passing.
As some of you may recall, Thelma lived next door with her three sister
hens. But Thelma decided to hop the fence one day and make her self
at home in the our garden, much to Bentley's ire.
Despite the fact that Bentley chased her, pulled out her tail feathers
and tried to kill her on several occasions, Thelma still preferred to
fly the coop for the greener garden of Ash Tree Cottage. Here
she is enjoying her favorite spot on our front porch. Day after day
she would rock away in my Grandma's old rocking chair.
This free ranging chicken had the heart and soul of a free Spirit.
She was always trying to broaden her horizon and cultivated
a palate for the different herbs and flowers of our garden.
Some days she would visit several times and she did it so
quietly that I would not know she was back, but Bentley
always found her. She came so close to her demise so many
times in our yard and I was always running to her rescue.
As a consequence, Thelma and I bonded. I grew to love her
and I think she liked me too because she would always
snuggle close when I had to pick her up.
Her other sisters were quite content in the safety and comfort of their own
yard and coop. They were three home bodies, but not Thelma. She was
the adventurous kind.
These girls had quite the spread of their own. My neighbor owns two houses
and the chickens have the run of the garden of the house that they use to house
visiting professors to Boise State University. They get to visit with and be fed by
some of the great minds of the academic world lol.
Just look at these pretty girls!
Thelma is gone now. Sadly she became dinner for a wandering raccoon.
But her spirit lives on in my heart.
And two of the other girls are gone now too due to the same tragic end.
Now Beatrice is all alone. She is an old hen now and does not
get out and about as much as she used to.
I am chicken sitting for Beatrice for the next several days.
I enticed her out of her coop for a few hours this afternoon and
she had some exercise walking around and clucking in the garden.
Then she went back to the safety and comfort of her coop.
I wonder if she misses Thelma and her other sisters?
I sure do!
Rest in peace dear Thelma. You made a big impression
on me and my readers too.
Bentley ~ do you remember when Thelma laid an egg in our
backyard for you? She did it more than once. I think she
really liked you.
Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

0 Yorumlar